Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Oops? (Maybe...?)

So the day before my surgery, I came across a message board about double bunionectomies. There are 39 pages...with about 5 posts each, and I've read every single one at least twice. There are 3 posters who had surgery during the 'life of the thread' (aka while people were posting on the board), so I like to look at my progress in relation to theirs. All three say that at one week (which is today for me!!) they were still in so much pain and still popping Vicodins and could hardly walk. Why, then, do I have virtually no pain? no throbbing? no more popping pills? and walking at my leisure? It makes me a little nervous...grateful...but nervous.

Another topic they talk about is how much they walk. One woman says she's not allowed to even stand up for 2 WEEKS! My doctor told me I could walk immediately (only to and from the bathroom though) for the first few days. Now, I'm able to walk all over the place. I have to sit down after about 3 or 4 minutes of standing/walking though. The other women on the board say that while they're trying to walk, it's just soooo painful. For me, it's a little awkward walking, but I do it, and I do it pretty well for someone whose foot was drilled and hammered into a week ago.

Today is my first post-op appointment. I'm really not sure what to expect. All I know for sure is that he is going to change my bandages. So I'll get to see my feet and I'm bringing my camera to bring you all the most up-to-date footage. Another woman on the board said she had her stitches removed at her first post-op. I didn't even think about asking whether I have removable stitches or dissolvable ones (nor did he mention it). Another thing that I'm worried about it the scar. Since my mom's is on the side of her foot, I assumed mine would be too. But out of all the picture I've seen on the web, a lot of them have the scar right on top of the big toe!

This is a pic where
the scar is on the side


This is a bad pic...
but you can see the scar
is over the big toe





I haven't gotten my feet wet (duh) this last week so all that yellow iodine was still on my toes and heels (and under the bandages but I obviously can't reach those). So when I woke up I took a wet washcloth and took the iodine off my toenails and heels and some of my toes. It's hard to get that stuff off though when you're trying to be careful. You actually have to scrub it. Also, when I moved the bandage up just a little bit by my heels, I can see black and blue marks going up my foot. If I have bruising on my heels, I can only imagine the rest of my foot...ugh.

Oh one more thing...I found another picture blog of some other woman who had a double bunionectomy. Here's the link: More pics of bunions yay

Alright, well that's enough for this morning. Why did I wake up at 8am? I don't know. I'll post again this afternoon after the doc. AND!!!! Me, my mom, and my sister are psyched because we're eating in the cafeteria at the hospital. YAY!!!! Haha cute doctors all around!!!

Muah*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My scar is not on the side but on the top of my toe... I really wished he did the side scar but he said since my toe had so much flexibility and was just so severly deformed, he had to do the top incision. He also made one long incision versus two small incisions. So lets see how that heals and looks like in a few months. I would have preferred to have your scar though :/

December 09, 2012 12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counters