Saturday, November 17, 2012

FAQs

Hi everyone. Because I get frequent comments with practically the same questions asked, I figured I would do a FAQ post so I don't have to keep answering repeatedly.

It has been 5 years and 7 months since my double bunionectomy. I am now 26 years old. Remember I was 20 when I had the surgery and I do think my age was a positive factor in my quick healing. My doctor was surprised at my fast healing (I remember him saying, "You must drink a lot of milk." Uhhh false! I hate milk). Also, this is just MY experience. Your podiatrist is the expert as everyone is different.

Lastly, please remember to go through the archives on the left (May, June, and July 2006) if you want to see pictures/details.

How long did it take before you could stand without crutches?
I never had crutches. My podiatrist told me to start walking the day of my surgery. I was scared and it hurt, but everyday I forced myself to walk a little or at least to stand without support.

Did you to go to physical therapy?
No I didn't. My MD never mentioned it, but if you're not young or active, he/she might suggest it to enhance range of motion.

Did you lose any range of motion?
Not at all. I began walking (i.e. my parents forced me) the minute I got home from the hospital. The doctor told me at first to walk only to and from the bathroom, but this was only for a couple days. If you don't walk and/or put pressure on your toes the way you normally walk, you will lose range of motion because the scar tissue will build up. Trust me on this one, suck it up and walk! Your feet won't break.


When could you wear gym shoes?
2 weeks.

When could you drive?
2 weeks

When could you get your feet wet?
2 weeks. 
 
When could you walk barefoot?
3 weeks (in the house only).

When were you able to jog/run/exercise?
3 1/2 weeks (26 days post-op), I got the OK from the doctor to do these activities as long as no trauma occurred. So NO soccer (football?) to my British readers!

When were you able to wear heals/flip flips?
*Flip flops take longer than regular does because your toes grasp the shoe to move forward
Flop flops at 3 1/2 weeks (26 days post-op); heals I don't remember but it was significantly longer. Again, no trauma may occur. So don't wear open-toed shoes to a bar or to a crowded store or lift anything heavy enough to hurt you if it lands on your feet! With flip flops/sandals, you may need to watch the placement of the straps if they go right over your scar. Always keep an extra band-aid on you!

Do you have a scar?
That generally happens when your skin is completely cut open ;-) Yes, I do but they are barely visible. They do need extra moisturizing during the dry times of year (e.g. midsummer from pool chlorine, low-humidity winter, etc.).   

How long did the pain last?
The worst of it was 4-5 days. Vicodin was my friend during that time. Make sure you take it ON SCHEDULE. So it you can take it at noon and again at 6 and again at midnight, take it at exactly those times. If you wait because you're not in any pain, it's because YOU'RE ON VICODIN! Trust me, take it anyways because once the pain came, the meds did not take it away. Wean yourself off after about 4-5 days or as tolerated, the sooner the better though in my opinion. 

How long did the swelling last?
I ended this blog at 6 1/2 weeks and thought my feet were back to normal. They weren't! Comparing my feet now to how they looked in those last pictures, I now know that it took several months for ALL the swelling to go down. 

Have the bunions come back?
Not that I can tell! I have metal pins in my big toes keeping them straight so I don't think they'll be moving anytime soon!

Any regrets?
Not at all. Getting them both done at the same time was right for me at that time in my life (20 years old, at home for summer break, no job/kids/man haha).  

Do you have any trouble going through airport security?
No.

Can you personally email me?
Sorry, but I will only communicate via comments in my blog.    

12 Comments:

Blogger JeopardyOwl said...

Hi

I'm 25 and getting my double bunionectomy next week. I, too, have had bunions for what seems like my entire life. Both sides of my family have a history of bunions and I was the >lucky< one out of three children to have this done. The others have beautiful feet. At one point around the age of 12-14, I went to a local surgeon to get my feet looked at and at that time my feet were candidates for surgery. At least during that time they weren't giving me any reason (pain) to fuss with them.

I was looking on your blog for a before photo of what your feet looked like before the surgery.(I found some older posts you made with a space where a picture should go with a small icon). I thought it may have been a photo you had taken down.
Your feet look great, and I know that everyone's outcome is different with the surgery depending on the severity of the bunion. I think I want to see it to be realistic of the results since we are very close in age and therefore recovery should be similar as well.

Thanks. I appreciate you posting your experience.

January 12, 2013 10:40 PM  
Blogger xo0michellee said...

Hi.

I was relieved when I saw you were 20 when you had your bunionectomny done. I am 21 and I had a bunionectomy about 7 weeks ago. I am nervous I won't have my range of motion back. I wanted to know, if you every got your full range of motion back to normal. Your feet look fabulously, from the outcome of the surgery! I hope my foot looks as great as yours!

Thanks
~Michelle

February 07, 2013 11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you , currently going through my own Bunionectomy recovery right now and this gives me lots of resistance that I'll be mentally okay after it's all done. But my doctor days I can't bear any weight for two months the balls of my feet. So I'm basically in the laying down position all day. It's been almost.3 1/2 weeks now. How did you not get bored out of your mind?!

Thanks :)

February 18, 2013 3:55 AM  
Anonymous Joanna Hackley Davis said...

I had a bilateral bunionectomy 3 weeks and 2 days ago, just a few days before my 48th birthday. I couldn't be happier!
I was also back in sneakers, albeit loose ones, two weeks after surgery. I've been barefoot in the house for the last few days.
My feet already look better and the swelling is down significantly, though the numbness is still a bit bothersome.
My podiatrist says I can run again when I have 20 degrees of movement downward and 65 degrees of movement upward in both great toes. Yes, bending them up and down is uncomfortable, and I've needed pain meds to sleep after each night I've been enthusiastic with the PT, but it's so worth it!
Thank you for being inspiring! I hope I've added a bit of inspiration for the older set who need to have this surgery done. From what I've been told by people in the podiatry field, the sooner it is done, the less invasive the surgery (mine did not require pins) and the quicker the heal time.
Blessings in all you do!

February 22, 2013 8:13 PM  
Blogger Tori said...

Hello! I have really enjoyed reading your blog-- I am 20 and first discovered my bunions (both feet, look pretty similar to how yours do) when I was 14.

I am thinking of going for the surgery next year, so I'll be in a similar position, summer vacation & family to help me recover.

My question is how did you go about finding a doctor / surgeon? I'm on the east coast, and have no idea about how to find a good surgeon. I have heard horror stories about people with awful scars, and I really want to avoid that. Did you have such an easy and cosmetically successful surgery (relatively, I know the pain must have been a lot, but your recovery time is impressive) because you found a good surgeon, or out of sheer luck?

Thanks for your input!
-Victoria

May 09, 2013 9:35 PM  
Anonymous Natalie (Blog Writer) said...

Hi Tori! Thanks for reading and for your Qs.

To find a reputable podiatrist, I would first ask your primary MD for a referral. I would also look at the major hospitals in your area and check out who their chief of podiatry is (as they are often the best), as well as the schools each podiatrist went to. If they went to some hick school in southern Mississippi (no offense to anyone!) you might want to pass on them. You can also ask others who have had foot problems for referrals too. Lastly, I live in a suburb of Chicago so I was able to look at Chicago magazine and every year they list the best of the best doctors in Chicagoland. Not sure if you're by any major cities on the east coast, but obviously if you're by NYC, Boston, etc. you'll have no trouble finding a good one. Always get a second opinion though. Remember someone always graduated at or near the bottom of their class!

Make sure you compare surgery procedures, scar descriptions, and recovery time estimates as well. Lastly, just because a doctor is older doesn't mean they're the most knowledgeable. The younger docs often will have the latest surgery techniques on their side.

I think I had a little luck and the product of good research going for me when it comes to my recovery time and scar. I made sure I asked where the scar would be in advance. Hopefully we have similar experiences since you're the age I was and in the same situation! Feel free to post again if/when you have the surgery, and good luck.

Natalie

May 13, 2013 6:29 PM  
Blogger Mary Riordan said...

I am three weeks post-surgery and just discovered your blog - nice job and so helpful to later "victims." Your story is an amazing one, as most of us don't have doubles and are older and heal more slowly. But the essentials are the same. There is now a Facebook group called "I Survived A Bunionectomy" and this has been a lifeline of support for lots of us. Thank you sincerely for taking the time to post your very positive story. It can be appreciated for years to come.

Mary Riordan
Dayton, OH

June 17, 2013 10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog. Love the information. Just had a bilateral bunionectomy and hammer toes repaired on my "pinky" toes. Everything has gone great but I am trying to compare my feet and be sure what I see isn't the final product. I am only 2 weeks and 3 days post op so I still have a ways. Needless to say after seeing your pictures I feel much better. So thank you for sharing your experience. Kirby
Florence, SC

June 24, 2013 3:02 PM  
Blogger BookLady said...

Thanks for this blog. I will have double bunioectomy in 3 days (I am 60). I will have 5.5 weeks off before going back to work as a librarian...and the first two weeks will be lots of sitting. I've read just about as much as I could find and your info was the best and most helpful.
Many thanks.

July 06, 2013 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Natalie,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I, too, am in Chicago. I am unsure of how to find the best surgeon and whether to choose a podiatrist or orthopod. I'm thinking word of mouth might be best. In that vain, would you mind sharing the name of your surgeon or the name of the hospital? So far, I've received only 1 suggestion; I don't know anyone else who has had the surgery. My bunions are moderate and painful. I probably shouldn't put it off much longer.

November 21, 2013 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Natalie (Blog Writer) said...

Hi Anonymous,

I had my surgery done at Alexian Brothers Medical Center in Elk Grove Village, IL (I live in the suburbs). I would start with a referral from my primary physician to see who he/she recommends. Then I would start searching the Internet for the best rated podiatry departments at the area hospitals. Of course the big teaching hospitals like Rush, Loyola, Northwestern, University of Chicago, which are world-renowned, will have excellent MDs if you're close to the city. You can also go to the library and check out Chicago magazine. Once a year they rate all the hospitals/MDs/departments, so you can find that issue. You have to ensure that the MD and you agree on things...for example: scar placement, recovery time, etc. Lastly, make sure your insurance works with the MD you choose.

Remember that there was always a doctor who graduated at the bottom of their class. So do your homework, interview your MDs, and get multiple opinions! Good luck!!

Natalie (Blog Writer)

November 30, 2013 9:48 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey! I saw your comment, but there was no email address to write you back! Send me an email at savanah@savanahsmiles.com and I will respond :)

December 29, 2013 9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counters