Sunday, June 11, 2006

Alder Planetarium

Today me, my mom, dad, and sister went downtown Chicago to the Alder Planetarium. It was a lot of fun and pretty interesting. I had a wheelchair and I was in it for about 2/3 of the time. Of course, I got a lot of stares...and when people KEPT staring, I'd make an excuse to get up to look at an exhibit so they could see that I was capable of walking. I've been working with people with disabilities since 2nd grade, but today was the first time I actually felt how it feels to have a physical disability. Like when I went to the bathroom, the hallway is just big enough for the wheelchair to fit through, but it turns at a 90 degree angle twice, so it was almost impossible to maneuver the chair. Then I realized that I could walk and it made a lot more sense to leave the chair outside and just walk into the bathroom haha...but still, even the floor was uneven and when I was wheeling myself around by turning the wheels, sometimes I'd start turning in a circle because one wheel wouldn't turn because the floor was uneven. Anyways...it was more funny than embarrassing and overall it was a good experience.

We went for dinner at Cheeseburger in Paradise. It was really good, I had a chicken sandwich with onions, red and yellow peppers, red pepper aioli, on this foccacia bread and it was just yummy. Now I'm home and I'm exhausted. Today was the first day since my surgery that I was out all day. I have pics from today but my sister hasn't uploaded them yet. I'll post them when she does.

Until then...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counters