Thursday, June 01, 2006

So What the Hell is a Bunion?

Most people think that bunions only happen in 'old people.' NOT TRUE!! Haha I figure that not EVERYONE reading this is in my family, so for all of you people who are kind of confused about what a bunion actually is, here's your explanation.

According to Dr. Foot, bunions are one of the most common forefoot deformities. A displacement of the bone under the 1st toe occurs, which causes the big toe to move towards the smaller toes. This shifting of the bones causes a bony prominence on the side of the patients foot (the bunion joint). Over a period of time the big toe may come to rest under (occasionally over) the 2nd toe (this didn't happen to me yet, but the doc said since bunions are progressive it would've eventually happen). This is one example of how it looks when the second toe overlaps the great toe:Bunions are more common in women due to genetics and wearing tighter shoes. Bunions can cause a variety of different soft tissue and bony complaints which may result in severe pain.

Bunions can range from mild to extremely severe:



Severe

Mild




Symptoms include redness, swelling and pain which may be present along the inside margin of the foot.

The patients feet may become too wide to fit into their normal size shoe and may experience moderate to severe discomfort may occur when the patient is wearing tight shoes.

Calluses may occur on the soles of the feet, in between toes and on the bunion joint. Arthritis can also eventually occur, but the doc said I had no evidence of arthritis.

I'm still looking for the cable to connect my camera to my laptop. As soon as I do I can upload the pics I've taken!! Stay tuned...

4 Comments:

Blogger Rosemarie said...

the mild foot looks normal to me - or at least I wouldn't think of having surgery to fix this. The other one though, I would think you could hardly walk!

June 01, 2006 4:05 PM  
Blogger Trendi said...

The mild one probably wouldn't be operated on. Technically, you're not supposed to have them fixed unless they hurt you or are at the point where arthritis could form, the second toe is being overlapped, etc. The mild form is just the beginning of a bunion and could probably be prevented from getting any worse by buying wider shoes, or other methods like that.

June 01, 2006 4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

July 17, 2006 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

July 19, 2006 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counters