Wednesday, May 31, 2006

First Post...Post Surgery!!

Well I'm laying on the couch with three pillows under my feet. I have ice packs on my ankles too. I think the novacaine is starting to wear off in my feet. It's weird though...they hurt on the outside, like under my pinkie toe, rather than my big toe which is where the surgery was performed. My toes are still numb, and I can tell they're swollen.

Ok so here's the dealio...I got to the hospital around 6:10, signed in, and went to the waiting room for about 2 minutes. Then the nurse brought me back into the pre-op area and gave me a sexy robe to put on. So I changed, she came back in, and I got onto the bed with heated blankets. Then another nurse came in and put the IV in my hand (first a shot to numb it...then the IV). Then I was all set, my podiatrist came in and marked my feet, my parents came into my room, and we sat around for 45 minutes and watched the Today show on NBC since it was Katie Couric's last day. My parents were talking about how much they couldn't wait to go to the cafeteria and get breakfast. I looked at my IV and my breakfast of plasma and wished I could be devouring pancakes and bacon...oh well.

At 7:35...it was time to go. I kissed my parents goodbye and the nurses wheeled me away. I went down the hall, past the maternity ward, and through the "DO NOT ENTER: OPERATION ROOMS" doors. I was getting a little nervous and started shivering since the temp in there must've been like 50 degrees. They brought me into the operating room, I was starting to get a little wiggy from the drugs they were giving me through the IV, and I commented on how I felt like I was on an episode of "ER." (Yes, ER).

The anesthesiologist came in and made small talk yada yada asked what I was allergic to yada yada and then said she was giving me something 'to relax' me. The last thing I remember thinking was, "God that anesthesiologist must be rich." [Cue blackout]

Next thing I know...I'm in another room and I have the worst cottonmouth ever. The nurses kept coming in and taking my blood pressure and all that. I was seeing double from all the medicine and kept trying to focus. I asked to go to the bathroom, to which I was answered, "Either you use a bedpan or you wait 5 minutes until the doctor sees you." I opted for the latter.

I changed back into my clothes, went to the bathroom again (the nurses said I had to go before I left). My nurse then put these sock-like things over my toes (which were a gross shade of yellow from the anti-bacterial stuff) and then my surgical shoes. They wheeled me out to the car, and my feet weren't hurting at all. My parents carried me into the house and I thought they were going to drop me from everyone laughing so hard. I took a 20 minute nap I think and now my feet are killing me. It's on the opposite side from my bunions, and I realized that's because the novacaine on that side is leaving...I can only imagine how much it's going to hurt once the meds on the bunion side wear off. Oh. My. God.

I feel like screaming.......

3 Comments:

Blogger Rosemarie said...

Tootsie -- I hope your mom has brought home the vicadin by now!!

May 31, 2006 3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

July 17, 2006 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Good job. Go on.
»

July 19, 2006 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Hit Counters